Thursday, July 21, 2011

Heat wave

The past few days have been unbearable with temperatures rising into the nineties and dew points well above average. I never really needed to know what "feels like 116 degrees" was, but now I do.

Since late Saturday afternoon we've been pretty much hunkered down in our basement. Thank goodness it's finished! The heat made me pretty lethargic. The thought of projects crossed my mind, but by the time I'd leave my office in the AC, my brain would melt and those ideas went right out the window. Projects=planning enough no-cook or grilled meals, keeping ourselves cool, and getting the puppy out as much as possible.

Needless to say, I really missed being able to go outside. This pretty much sums up the lack of outside time:

Lots of rain + intense heat = I won't be asked to teach any master gardener classes anytime soon!

The intense humidity broke today and cooled things off to a nice 90 some degrees MINUS the dew point business. So I celebrated by donning my gloves and tackling this beast that used to resemble a garden.

Now, I won't go so far as to call this an after shot--it's more of an in-progress shot--but I'd already pulled for nearly an hour and filled an entire bag with weeds. Until next time!


See? It's not just a bed of weeds! I'm certain the tall stalks in the middle are weeds. I let them grow to test and see what they would become. For this? The Romaine is pretty much crying out to be harvested, that mess of a plant flopping over in the front is my tomato that I failed to put in a cage, and the onions probably would have done better had I removed those yogurt containers. Like I said, no invitation to the master gardener's series. Next year I'll focus on the garden....right...

But for now, I'm pretty excited to end the 4-night streak of sleeping on an air mattress in the basement. I have missed my bed. And I will not miss being jumped on and licked by a dog in the morning. She's cute, but not that cute.




1 comment:

  1. you have growing plants that are still producing tasty things, and under the most intense conditions. be nice to yourself, it looks good considering all that. you are amazing. really. stay cool ish... popsicles? and soft seve?
    hearts !

    ReplyDelete