Monday, August 30, 2010

Shady Hollow Flea Market

A few weeks ago, Louis and I were in Detroit Lakes for a family get-together. Last year we visted in time for the last Shady Hollow flea market of the season, and I was pretty excited to see what we might find this year (last year was two dining room chairs at 10 bucks each and a simple rug).

We arrived early, before most vendors even had their shops set up, so we left and came back. I was bummed that we might leave the market empty-handed, but then we stumbled upon a permanent vendor stand (with a little house set-up instead of just a plot of grass). We hit the mother lode here (mother lode=4 items)! What's not to love about all these antique windows?

I've been on the lookout for an old window to turn into a chalkboard, and these were just the ticket. A few picture texts later, I had picked up three of them for two friends to create their own, too. And it allowed me to haggle. Three of those babies for the price of two! More on the chalkboard project later.

I really wanted to take this table home, but eyeballed it as too wide to fit into our kitchen. Yes, eyeballed is a verb.

This=love. A galvanized bucket of antique white letters (and an ampersand)! Okay, maybe I'm starting to understand why I've been made fun of for my love of antiques.

We wrapped up at the market with: three windows, a nightstand painted white (I'm pretty much a sucker for anything white or antique white) for a mere $18, a blue paint-chipped mirror for $9.50 (more on this later), and the Eureka sign shown hanging on the wall in the windowframe photo. I was told by the store owner that it used to be on the front of an oven range. That piece is actually headed to a friend who works for the coolest nonprofit recyling company, Eureka Recycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment