Sunday, May 1, 2011

Reaping what we did not sow.

Oh hey, Happy May Day! We reached a high of 39 degrees today (whatever!). But the cold, rainy spring still has brought forth rhubarb in the garden.


A few years ago my roommates and I discovered what we referred to as "alley rhubarb" growing in the alley behind our volunteer house. It was also at that time I declared not liking rhubarb and them calling me out on it. Had I ever had it? Well, no, but I knew I didn't like it. Thanks, roommates, for not letting me act like a four year-old.

It's nice that Louis always has his iphone to snap pictures since I leave the Canon inside. Yup, that's a knife in my hand. I really can't wait to start digging around in this garden...must weed, remove rogue bricks, and figure out where we can plant some additional items in here.

And here's what I've learned about rhubarb: while it is a perennial, it takes 3-4 years to really start up, so thanks, sellers for letting us reap what you sowed.


Today's harvest turned into rhubarb strawberry crisp. Technically it's to take to dinner at a friend's tomorrow night, but we firmly believe in Quality Control at our house. Had to test it to make sure it was okay first!

I love the idea of walking in to the backyard to collect food for the night. We've been told there is some type of potato as well as Minnesota melon in our garden. I wish we had grandiose ideas for growing lots more out back, but, um, I don't think we have that kind of time. And at the rate we're going, I don't have a lot of trust in this weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment