Sunday, September 4, 2011

Making the Mudroom, Part Two

When I last left off, the new mini mudroom was getting the Tart Margarita wall treatment.

On day four of the project (Tuesday, if you're keeping track), it was time to tackle the floor issue. We had determined (after finding scary insulation and foam under the floor board) to instead build up the floor to the same height as the molding. I researched a variety of options, then Louis and I headed out to the gigantic hardware store on a date. (Tools as gifts and dates to the hardware store--does it get any better?!).

I found myself very challenged and stressed by the multitude of options, yet none that seemed to work for us. Plus I didn't want to spend a fortune on a tiny section of flooring. So I settled on some wood pieces (after a lot of difficult math and planning in the store).

I came home and cut them down to size with my baby hacksaw.


And wedged them in place. We figured it was okay to leave a gap in the middle because a solid piece was going on top (and would save me from having to cut a sliver of wood with that tiny saw!).


 Original board back on top...


And with the vinyl piece back in place, I called it a done deal on the floor (even though it's completely unlevel and slopes downward, which I sort of dealt with later on...).


Day five of this project required a trip to IKEA. I haven't intentionally bought anything new from the store into our home mostly because I've been trying to rely on secondhand furniture passed on to us or purchased locally. IKEA pictures are "cookie cutter" to me, but I gave in after seeing the over six-foot tall bookcase in my inspiration photo; it was the exact dimensions needed to fit our space and had adjustable shelving, so it can be customized to what we determine needs to sit on the shelves. And it was available right away (this project was already taking more time than any previous one and I was itching to get it done!).

With the aid of the worst directions in the world, my over six foot tall shelf was assembled and in place! I also moved in a bench/shoe rack my mom gave us a few Christmases ago. It's perfect for this spot!

It's hard to tell from the photos, but the level floor was creating a problem with a very un-level bookcase. To remedy that, I turned back to the saw and cut some pieces from the former shelves. I wedged them under the lower-leaning side of the shelf. I still need to attach the shelf to the wall with a bracket (because I don't trust Lilly to not jump up on those shelves in search of treats when we're not looking!).

With the furniture in, I turned my attention to the walls. In this new space, we not only needed it to be more open, a place to sit and take off/put on shoes, but to also store some of the items from before (namely shoes, dog stuff, broom/mop, and our reusable grocery tote bags).

I found this set of hooks that was perfect for holding the broom and mop--and we could keep them sort of tucked out of sight on the side of the bookcase.

On the opposite wall, I added two framed photos from our recent vacation to Leech Lake: one of a gorgeous evening sunset on the lake, the other of Lilly running along the beach (after she discovered she did like the water!). I also picked up the wall hook at IKEA. I really couldn't pass up the dog butt hook now, could I? :) It's perfect for hanging her leash. Oh, and I finally removed the other bi-fold door!

On Friday, day six of the project, we took a break and went to the FAIR! More on that later...

So on Saturday, one week in, with many details coming together, I turned my attention to the lingering "this is a closet" type details. Like the guide pieces for the bi-fold doors...

With the aid of the cordless drill (one of my most-used and favorite tools), I removed the brackets.

I found pieces of hobby wood at a craft store that were the perfect thickness of the existing board. I measured and cut them to size. I painted them white, but plan to repaint the existing boards with a fresh coat of satin white paint because the smudge marks on them now refuse to wash off!

Again, with the beloved drill, I removed the metal guide piece from the top of the closet.

And found the leftover paint in the basement and touched up the top (and bottom where the brackets had been). Amazing how that little detail made such a big transition. This no longer looked like a closet at all--it's now our little mudroom nook!

With a few more hooks in place and an old window project (because I can't get enough of the old windows)  the mini mudroom is complete!! (More on the window piece later--it's in progress. It would be done if someone had custom-ordered the right size mirrors--doh!)






Oh, mini mudroom, how I love you so! It's only been complete for a day, but it already makes such a huge difference walking in the door. The space feels (and is) so much more open. I love this little part of our house.

And now my favorite part: before and after time!
Cluttered closet of before...


Becomes the mini mudroom after!


Now, if you'll excuse me. I'm going to go sit in my mudroom and take it all in. :)


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I could really use some of your creativity and energy to work some wonders in our house.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I know I said that before, but seeing it step by step is so great. It's really inspiring, to see a project that could feel overwhelming broken down in to easy to follow and seemingly 'simple' steps. So rad!!!
    -Lylee

    ReplyDelete