Friday, September 17, 2010

Before and After: Patio Chairs!

Here's a little fun fact about me: I love before and after shots. I don't know why. As a kid I was always fascinated by infomercials selling anything related to cleaning and watching the carpet, fabric, etc. magically become clean again!


Today's DIY all started like this:

Fabric! Check out all these options just for fabric that is specially treated to withstand sun/outdoors.

Technically, the project started here:

Louis and I picked up this patio table and set of chairs while we were in Iowa last weekend. My mom told me the chairs were from my grandparent's house--they were the kitchen set from the 70s!

See? Straight-up 70s.

Awesome. Thank you for saving this old stuff!

Back to fabrics. Lucky for Louis, he got spared a trip to the fabric store. He was at work, I was taking a vacation day. But I couldn't decide between these two lovely swatches:


Circle bursts or stripes?! After texting the photos to him and looking like a big weirdo at the fabric store, he had no opinion. Later he told me he thought I was making outdoor curtains. Umm...?

After purchasing Summer Squash Rustoleum spray paint and a staple gun (!), I was homeward bound to get to work on my project.

Well, hello, sunshine chair! Oh, look how green that grass still is, too. We might not have seen the sun for the last 4 days, but we still have green grass!

Okay, onto "reupholstering"... Cut once, measure twice?

Oh yes, this is good. "Under penalty of law, this tag not be removed except by the consumer." Fun fact: you could reorder new vinyl for these chairs, and the company was in Wadena, MN!

So glad Louis was now home. He ripped off his cover in the time I got 1/4 through mine.


Ready, set...
Staple!
In case you forgot what we were dealing with:


And here she is! Sunny yellow, brown-sunburst fabric chair! 1970, meet 2010.

Remember this? Okay, I know, I need a better before and after, but I have to wait until the sun shows it's face tomorrow. Ooh, and we're off to Hastings tomorrow for antiquing with Derek and Leona. Derek says he loves antiquing. What I foresee happening is Derek and I going antique gaga while our spouses pretend they don't know us. Updates later!

2 comments:

  1. great project! the chair looks awesome. i claim it for tues night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute! I can't wait to see your home when I am back in the States!

    ReplyDelete