Tuesday, September 7, 2010

DIY: My Making it Lovely kitchen curtains


One of my immediate projects after moving in: kitchen curtains. I can't complain. We have nearly new windows and coverings on most windows. But lacking in others--and I'm sure the neighbors are great, but our houses are about 20 feet apart on either side. So I needed to make these curtains!

We have a lovely two-tone kitchen: buttercup yellow on the top and a grassy green on the bottom, separated by white trim. Louis and I settled for yellow curtains, bought the necessary supplies: fabric, ribbon, and thread.

And then I dug out my Singer. The Singer that was stuck in a zig-zag position since I last used it. In 2005. I tried, I really tried to make friends with it again, but I deemed it best to give up lest pushing the machine off the table.

So I went old-school. I sewed them by hand and they aren't perfectly straight, but they got done. I copied these curtains here, which is why I refer to them as my Making it Lovely curtains!

I basically cut two panels of fabric slightly larger than my windows (in hindsight, because my curtain rod makes the curtains hang out from the window itself, I would have made them wider to extend across the panes, too. oh well.). I did a basic running stich and left a large amount of fabric at the top to create the pole pocket.

Louis drilled and hung the curtain rod, which we scored for about $4 off because it was a repacked return (luckily nothing was missing--I checked carefully before leaving the store). Once the curtains were hanging, I followed Nicole's method to create soft folds, held mine in place with clothespins and looped the fabric from the top to bottom and tied large bows. Note: it took me an entire spool of ribbon for each loop.

And here they are--I love them! They still give us the light from the bottom, but block out enough at the top so it doesn't feel like we're cooking at the zoo. :) And I must retake a photo in better lighting.

1 comment: