Friday, September 3, 2010

State Fair time!

The Minnesota State Fair is how I cope with the end of summer. Dubbed, the Great MN Get-Together, it runs 12 days through Labor Day. My first year in MN I didn't attend (I had only lived here a few weeks and was a year-long volunteer with little State Fair cash to spend). I was teased mercilessly about this. I've since made up for my absence: in the past four years I have attended the fair nine times.

I fell in love with the fair and at the fair. Louis and I decided to start dating on a late-night stroll through the fairgrounds two years ago, we had our engagement photos taken there, and we can't think of a reason why we'd miss it.

This year was pretty exceptional. It included a trip with our friends Joe and Krista who were moving to Boston only a day later, taking our friends Derek and Leona for their first time (and surprising his 7 year-old daughter there), our 2nd staff meeting on a stick (yes, staff development can look like deep fried pickles and 4-H shows), and the Trampled by Turtles concert.

For all the fair lore and the now many trips I've made, I decided my ultimate favorites at the fair have to be Heritage Square where you can learn the history of the fair and Creative Activities, showcasing the talents of Minnesotans.

The State Fair Museum! This helps explain why we saw TWO Fairbornes in costume last year. In my State Fair studying, I've learned that Fairchild was the first official mascot, followed by Fairborne, his nephew, in 1986.













I can't forget the crop art! These beauties can be found in the Horticulture Building. Here were some of my favorites from this year: gardening and for Louis-Calvin and Hobbes.


Definitely my favorite "scarecrow" in the Horticulture Building.
Onto Creative Activities! This is amazing. An attempt to create the largest hand-knitted fish hat! Seriously, I would never attempt a project like this. I don't last more than a few days on any given project and I can't imagine the number of times I would mess up and throw my knitting needles (not that I've ever done that before).
A little odd for my taste, but beautiful, nonetheless.
Ribbon-winning breads! I HAVE to enter one of these categories next year. I have an entire year to practice.
And that's all for State Fair 2010...so many more photos to share, but tethering internet via my phone makes for slow uploading and a frustrated blogger. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment