Sunday, October 17, 2010

All in a weekend's work.

DIY Saturday spilled over into DIY Sunday.  House on Hubbard has never completed so many simultaneous projects at once.  And for your viewing pleasure, here they are:

The painted-black dining room table went from this:

to this:
to the now stained and one-coated polyurethaned table sitting in the garage.  Mark my words, we'll be eating off that table again tomorrow.  More on this later, since this table has seen so much of our time it's become the newest member of the family.

I also transformed this old lamp of Louis' (that everyone seems to love, while I simply let it still live here) from this, 1970s chiq fabulousness:

to this:


Still crazy antler-like lamp, but modern colors.  The gold shade was spray painted cream, the wood and metal base, now a red.  Red to match the red basement couch, but what possessed me to pick up the glossy paint?

And finally, we solved the rug dilemma.

You'll recall this:

We just weren't feeling it.  Plus, it's made from olefin.  Ole-what?  Yeah, synthetic.  So we rolled that sucker up and took it back to the store.  If you're thinking it's wrong that we let it live here for a week first, well, just think that we let the synthetic chemical fibers off-gas for a week here.  Ick.  I also vacuumed it before returning.  That's like paying it forward, right?

We upgraded, opened our frugal pockets and sprung for this guy:

100% wool.  Whew.  [Because someday there will be a little puppy crawling across this rug and we don't want him rolling his fur in harsh chemicals!  Any by puppy, I mean the puppy of the future.  Spring 2011=puppy for House on Hubbard?]  Louis pointed out that this rug matches our front door mat.  Wow.  Maybe trust our instincts next time?  Could have saved like 17 times of me saying, "Let's just browse the rug section again."  I think the new rug totally makes us look like grown-ups.  Bonus!

I also completed my secret project, which will be revealed sometime this week.  Secret because it's a gift!  I'm tempted to keep it, but this blog pretty much serves as my conscience on this one.  And, we also managed to do other normal human things, like eat, clean the house, go for walks, Louis raked and mowed, I did laundry.  We forgot to sleep, though.  How else did you think we got all this done?

But now it's time to shower.  Over the past two days, my hands have been covered in:  paint stripper, paint stripper wash, spray paint, wood stain, and polyurethane.  Which probably explains why they feel like sandpaper.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed and can't wait to come and see all of the changes, additions, etc. They all look and sound wonderful.

    ....can't wait to see the new puppy next spring!

    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete