Friday, October 22, 2010

Birthday bunting banner!

AKA:  my secret project mentioned lately.  What to get for my favorite cube mate at work for her birthday?  Hmmm...oh, I know!  She liked my bunting, and even mentioned wanting to learn how to make her own, so perfect.  Birthday bunting banner it is (was)!


This particular cubemate and colleague, the one and only DMV, happens to be my co-coordinator on our office b-day committee, which once was thriving and since got axed in the office budget.  Not being ones to miss someone's birthday, the two of us usually decorate in some fashion when a colleague's birthday rolls around.  And when DMV revealed to me why she had all this b-day decor in stock, it sealed the deal that this gift would suit her well.  Her mom used to decorate the house each year when it was her or her sibling's special day and it's a tradition she has carried over for her own family.


Knowing her love for all things pink, I knew this project had to incorporate lots of it, and with a one year-old daughter, this banner will be perfect for decorating each year.  Sorry to her husband, but I'm sure he's used to living in a sea of pink by now. :)


Again, fabric quarters were the ticket here.  I used my same triangle template as the last bunting, but wanted to sew these together for a cleaner finish, so each triangle=two pieces of fabric.  With a nod to our buddy, Elana, lover of all things fonts, I even downloaded a new font for this occasion:  Candela bold, courtesy of dafont.com.





My steps:
1) Trace and cut letters out of felt
2) Cut cupcake template our of felt
3) Sew letters to triangle pieces
4) Sew two pieces of fabric together to create one triangle
5) Attach triangles to strip of bias tape


You know how certain smells can bring you back?  The smell of the bias tape totally reminded me of my mom's sewing kit!


Of course, these steps are pretty simple.  If you want a better tutorial, I referred to Pickup Some Creativity as well as amazing mae for the cupcake template.


And voila!  Here she is, hanging in said cube!






Happy Birthday, DMV (yesterday)!  As for me, I'm in DC for a board meeting allll weekend long, which means no projects. :(  I do have plans for a new bunting of my own that says "Give Thanks" so stay tuned!





1 comment: