Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

I bet you found yourself wondering what we're up to on our first Halloween in our new home.  Well...

We bought a pumpkin at the Farmer's Market a few weeks back.  It did not survive the squirrels.  I figured it was because it was small and maybe they could more easily sink their teeth into the thinner skin.  Louis bought me another pumpkin.

And then this happened last weekend:

Squirrels=2.  Us=0.  The neighbors confirmed that is a bit of a squirrel infestation in this neighborhood, confirming my statistical analysis.  All the other homes I've seen have pumpkins aplenty on their porches, but you drive down Hubbard and all you see are chewed-up pumpkins.

We tried.  Yes, we could carve that part out, but truth be told:  I hate carving pumpkins.

I do love bringing a sense of the seasons/holidays into the home, though there hasn't been much time for decorating.  However, thanks to Retail America's need to push Christmas merchandise onto the shelves earlier and earlier every year, all fall decor is on sale.  We snagged this festive table runner at 60% off!


And since our neighborhood is loaded with kids, we're expecting plenty of trick-or-treaters to come by tonight.  Now, I can often procrastinate, but when it came to buying Halloween candy I purposely did not buy it ahead of time so that I would not eat all of it.  Louis and I went out on Friday to pick up some treats.  And wouldn't you know it while there were some bags left, most of it was being shoved out by Christmas candy.  We're the new neighbors.  We have some impressions to leave on the minds of children and their parents, so 1) We can't be those people that hand out Brach's candy (sorry, but we all know it's not that good) and 2) We cannot hand out red and green wrapped candy (too soon).

Don't worry.  We rummaged the Halloween section AND the candy aisle.  And went back again today for more candy [because 3) We can't run out!)].


So there's the loot.  Louis will be handing it out in costume.  I'll be counting the number of kids and charting my favorite costumes.  Updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment