Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rug dilemma.

Sometimes, when things are going too smoothly at the ol' nonprofit job, it's good to know there are still crises to solve in the world of home decorating.  Yes, I am being highly sarcastic.  I feel the need to point out that a "rug dilemma" is not really a problem at all compared to, well, just about everything else in the world.


Now that I've started on a high note, I'll get right down to the point.  We got a new rug!  I've been browsing at the rugs for the last few weeks.  Even with our wedding gift card money, they are still so darn expensive (our gift cards completely covered this one).  But Louis finally convinced me to at least take one home and test it out.  That's right.  The packaging is still here in case I decide it's not the one.


So here it is:
And my verdict?  I don't really like it.  I mean, I think I like the rug.  It just...doesn't match the room.


But hello, I've read enough Young House Love to know the trick is all about accessorizing!  And the lightbulb went off.


I had just made some curtains to cover our basement windows with fabric that was surprisingly familiar...


Red, yellow, and black/grey flowers.  Hmm... Coincidence?


I was planning on making an additional curtain to cover the window on our side door that leads down to the basement, or even pillows to match the red couch in the basement, but perhaps I need more of this fabric for additional pillows for the living room couch?


So here's what that would like look...(in the form of an existing pillow wrapped in the leftover fabric).  I don't know.  I was a little hesitant to buy that fabric in the first place--it's more modern and bold (which works when you have a red couch) but in the living room?  So maybe just some plain red or yellow pillows?  Or maybe even curtains above that window?  Or maybe I should swap the sheer dining room curtains, which are red, with the sheer sage curtains in this room?  [My poor husband endures a lot of these conversations.]

We're on day 4 of testing out the rug.  Usually by now I'd have solved this dilemma, but I'm in the midst of a secret project and still waffling on the idea of stripping the dining room table.  Sigh.  DIY work is never done...

Comments/feedback welcome.  Please.

4 comments:

  1. I love you. I don't love the rug (for you and your house).. and Louis). Wait for the right one. However, you do have something with the changing of the pillow cases. Keep your eyes out for other rugs, you can always find fabric to match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.k., I think Martha would say that you need to find accessories that bring out the colors in the rug. Since there's red in the rug you can have a red pillow or maybe some red flowers. I'll look through my old Real Simple mags to see what they say about multi-colored rugs. I think it's a pretty cool rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a cool rug, I'm not in love with it...but if I was to walk in your house, I'd say...cool rug! lol. I wouldn't over-accessorize though, the rug already has a lot of spunk. I agree with picking out the colors in the rug and doing pillows and stuff that match...i like the red flower idea too...you could so some pillows with spunk, just as long as there are some other plain colored ones. But I'm bad at decorating...so I don't know how much advice you wanna take from me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista, you don't love me? Geez. Glad you waited until you moved to say it (things would have been awkward).

    ReplyDelete