Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcoming the newest member of our furniture family.

I know, it's been a while.  I've got loads of completed projects to share with you and even more exciting news:  House on Hubbard now has wi-fi!  Here's hoping this will speed up the posting process and allow me to bring even more content to the Internet world.  You should also know that I am on a self-imposed JoAnn Fabrics/Michael's/Menard's sabbatical.  Something about standing in the line at the cut-counter on a Friday night to work on curtains, alone, in the basement, while Louis went out to a show will spark that.  16 days and going strong!

But enough of that.  Louis and I have a new member of our furniture family to introduce!  But first, the background, because this has been a long sought-out piece, after all, and it deserves such build-up.

We've been on the hunt for some type of table or kitchen cart for this large spot in our kitchen entryway.

We weren't even planning on antiquing or thrifting this weekend.  We did a bit yesterday because, as you can see, we now have a modem problem on our hands.  Problem=that mess of cords piled up on the floor because the jack in our kitchen is the only operable one.  We haven't struck gold yet on this one, but the lesson learned on today's piece is: all in good time.

Thanks to our good buddy Derek's tweeting today, we learned about a gem of a place in Minneapolis called The Cottage.  This store is jam-packed with so, so, so much good stuff!  It's more thrift store meets upcycled.  I would guess the vendors here picked the pieces, painted them, and are reselling.  The Cottage is also only open ONE weekend a month.  I found this out at 3:45pm and they closed at 6pm.  I'd just like to say I have a pretty great husband who will jump in the car without really knowing where he's headed, especially when I have that "look" in my eyes.

I think "that look" is something like this:

This is totally normal behavior when you finally find the mail sorter you've been looking for.  Oh, and this place was another gem out in Hastings, but that's another blog post. 

So, we pulled up to this place just after 4 and I immediately fell in love.  The front yard was loaded with stuff.  We entered the house.  Two floors of stuff.  The backyard.  The tents in the backyard.  The garage.  Each month they have a theme and this one kicked off fall (ahem, October 10th and 80 degrees?) so there were lots of pumpkins and Halloween decor.  I hear they repaint the house each month as well as stocking with new inventory.  This is genius.  It moves the inventory out and is priced to sell.

I set my eyes on the prize.  Finally!  A cabinet for our kitchen.  I didn't have my measuring tape on me (I used to carry one in my purse, as well as the dimensions for this particular kitchen spot), but I just had a feeling.  We scoured some more.  In the end, we found three wire leaf decorations for $6, a large black dining room table for--are you ready for this--a mere $28 (!) and this lovely red cabinet that had been reduced from $58 to $42.  Score!  It does have a small hole in the back, but nothing a little tack board (or shoving it against a wall?) can't fix.


And here she is, right at home.  Not only does it fit perfectly, it expands our amount of counter space, AND gives us even more kitchen storage.  I'm in love.  Louis caught me gazing at it from the dining room table.  Oops.

And a view from the side.  It was made for the House on Hubbard.  Welcome home!

Our red lodge cooker fits so nicely, and finally has a place to live.  And there's my wonderful husband making another amazing meal.  The modem and cords still sit in a mess, but meh, maybe we'll find a great side table next month?!  I'm already counting down.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing at what you do with everyday items. Just beautiful! Nice catch on the man, btw.

    ReplyDelete