Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lantern love.

I have a fetish.  I love lanterns and I'm not afraid to admit it.  Case in point:  the two new lanterns I've picked up in the last two weeks.

Two weeks ago Louis and I took the day off together.  Among trekking around a state park on a fabulous fall day I also convinced him to make a stop that was not at all on the way home:  Hastings Gift, Garden, and Floral (website does not do this place justice).  Completely random, I know.  I think I've gushed about this place before.  It is part farm/garden rusty junk, part antiques, part new-but-looks antique (pure love, in my mind).

In my "I have to save my money for the next Cottage House sale" I almost walked outta there empty-handed, which pretty much looks like a kid being told they can't have anything at the toy store.  But then we went back because there was the lamp I really liked, but no price tag.  I set a price in my head and said I wouldn't go over.  And then I did, but only by $7 after tax.  I am such a sucker.

But, c'mon, how cool is this?!  (Or maybe it's just a lantern-lovers thing?)


The photo of that cute couple next to it sure doesn't hurt. :)  I also love that it is a three-way lamp.  I am such a freak about good lighting and since we live in Minnesota and DST is now really setting in, I need as much (fake) light as I can get.  I'm not sure about the lampshade.  Even though it was brand new it seems too big for the lamp and drowning out some of the light.  And I just can't have that.

Today is a day I have been counting down for a month.  A return trip to The Cottage House (my first store love, behind Hastings GG&F).  I went with my work bestie and we had a lovely time!

After seeing a multitude of lanterns while antiquing in Hopkins, MN, last week I had to snag this reasonably-priced one today!  $6, in case you were wondering.


I don't know much about lanterns, actually.  This one was made in the Czech Republic (as stated three separate times on the lantern).  See?  Okay, maybe you can't really see.  I need a new camera (hint, hint, Louis). :)


Not sure what I'll do with this little guy, probably dress it up a bit for the holidays.  I'm thinking some garland or a big red ribbon.


Lantern love!

I'm more than excited for my weekend, especially after having a one-day weekend last week due to a work event.  I'll be working from home in the morning on things that just couldn't fit into this week's hours, then tomorrow night we're off to the Third Annual St. Joseph Worker Program Taste of Thanksgiving.  Yummy fall foods to taste, wines to drink, live and silent auction goodies, and the fabulous SJW women and staff! 

I'm thinking a return trip to the Cottage House (unlike last time, I didn't feel the need to turn over my entire paycheck to them today, but after leaving I'm thinking of a few things I spied that I could put to use/turn into gifts).  And on Sunday, oh boy, three other neighbor couples have invited us to take part in a progressive brunch.  What say you?  We'll move from house to house eating one course after another.  I'm pretty psyched to get to know these people better, check out their houses (hello, I need to see what HoHub's siblings look like), and eat and drink!  We're in charge of second course:  fruit and mimosas.  Bring on the weekend!

1 comment: