Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving in photos...

(And a few words...it's me, after all).

I know what you're thinking:  Thanksgiving is still 5 days away.  However, yesterday was the annual Thanksgiving gathering with Louis' family.  They began celebrating the weekend before the holiday years ago so to make it hassle-free without competing other get-togethers and family celebrations.

We were assigned a vegetarian dish and a dessert.  Enter:  pies.  Pot pie and chocolate pie!  Warning:  this post may make you hungry.


Yum!  As the recipe mentioned, this pie wasn't too sweet.  Topped off with homemade whipped cream and some cocoa powder sprinkled on top.  Reminds me of the French Silk Pie I used to eat at near-weekly trips to Bishop's with the fam (anyone else know this place?  I hated it as a kid!  The cafeteria line, having to wait for an adult to carry my tray to the table...)


And pot pie!  Funny thing is, I sort of remember hating pot pie as a kid.  But guess what?  When you're an adult you can omit the things you don't like (peas!).  This is a Moosewood classic.  We don't have the cookbook, but found the recipe here.  It is very time-consuming, but there's something totally relaxing about chopping all those veggies on a slow Saturday afternoon.  I also love remembering wedding gifts (since we got sooo many kitchen gifts!) while I cook.  Thanks to E for the lovely bowls and Kim for this awesome red cooker that goes right from stove top to oven!

It was a delicious Thanksgiving #1.  T-day will be spent down in Iowa; that is, if the forecasted snow allows us to make it south.  And I'm pretty disappointed to see that their highs of 60s turn into 40s mid-week, but it's still double what we're looking at.

We've been hunkered down inside all day since the streets are topped with ice, but it might be melted enough to venture out...and this is only the beginning of winter.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment