Monday, November 29, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Well, I think I'm done decorating.  I could probably keep going, but I'd have to buy more decorations and knick-knacks, especially seasonal ones, are so not my thing.  Plus I married someone who shows about as much excitement for Christmas as does one going to the dentist.

But lo and behold, Christmas meets House on Hubbard!

The full shot of the dining room. 
 What?  Another lantern?  I couldn't!  This green tablecloth was a gift last year and it pairs nicely with the shiny poinsettia runner.

Antique-looking gift box filled with the mini ornaments from our tree last year.
 Edible decorations that may or may not last through the month week and another poinsettia runner.  Hark!  I need an actual poinsettia!

All the Christmas knick-knacks I'll ever need (got that, Mom?). ;)

Fiber-optic Santa.  No offense to the dude, but I think he's my least favorite thing to decorate with.
 This I love!  My mom said this was an old ice bucket.  I love that it looks sort of like a drum.  I filled it with two 8-packs of $1 ornaments for a grand total of $2.14 for this lovely coffee table topper.

And now the tree.  We've decided not to get a real tree, or even a bigger fake tree because a tree=money pit.  $ for the tree, then the lights, the ornaments, etc.  Maybe we'll snag some of this stuff on after-Christmas sales and be ready to go in 2011!  So out came the baby tree that I picked up last year (at of all places, Walgreen's), and only after being sad come the first full week of December that we were tree-less.
I heart the Dr. Seuss-like polka-dot and striped ornaments, as well as a few of our start-up collection.
 My mom gave Louis an ornament this past weekend.  None other than a light up, Hallelujah-singing Griswold house.  I asked Louis to put it on the tree.  And now it's our tree-topper.  At least I got him to participate?

Okay, I really wanted to drape some garland on this staircase, but I'm stumped on how I would get it to stay.  Thank you to the previous owners for leaving the nails in place for our stocking hangers.
 I snatched that nice big snowman stocking this past weekend at The Cottage House holiday kick-off sale for a mere $8.  It was the only thing I bought as I could easily pass up all the other knick-knacks (am I getting my point across?).
 This cute little guy is my favorite decoration.  That smile.  Gets me every time!  I'll totally name him by season's end.

And the last little bit by the front door.  My grandma had bought me this snowman...his legs extend and bend as evidenced from his bow knees.

So that's all...minus a few towels and potholders in the kitchen and a Nativity set we received for our wedding...where to put it?  Of course, our decor will amass over the years, but when the holidays are over we have to store all of this stuff...

We did a bit of outside decorating yesterday, too, but as luck would have it, one of the light sets tested fine, but then didn't work once all was said and done.  Seeing how it rained allll day today and now will be coated with fresh snow, who knows when I'll get out there and fix it, but pictures will follow suit. 

For now, I need to think up adorable snowman names...

2 comments:

  1. you make me smile! and the house looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house wants to meet you in person, too! Fingers crossed there is a MN trip in your near future. :)

    ReplyDelete