Friday, January 21, 2011

DIY: Whiteboard door

While I'm in project drought here, I thought I'd share a project of yore:  aka, late summer of 2010.  I have fond memories of being so warm while working on this project as I am currently miserable with our high today of zero.

Even before the house was technically "ours" I designated this as one of my first projects (along with the chalkboard window).  I was inspired by this post, which is also the source for the chalkboard project.

So, following the above-mentioned blogger's instructions, we scoured Menard's for shower board, but were out of luck.  Not ones to give up, we gravitated towards the office section of Menard's (p.s. they sell just about everything there these days).  We wound up with a $10 sale price mega whiteboard.  It was framed and ready to hang, but since we wanted to put this on the back of a door, I really only wanted the whiteboard part.

I deconstructed.  And apparently lost those photos in the time that has passed.  Basically I unscrewed and tore apart the metal frame, which gave way to the board part and a large cardboard backing.  The cardboard has been used several times over as a "drop cloth" for indoor furniture painting and I discarded the frame pieces.  Because the board was wider than our door, I simply used a wire cutting tool (same one pictured in the mouse-capades tool shot).  I used the supplied 3M sticky mounts and tacked it to the back of our door.

Super simple project!

We selected the back side of the door in our kitchen that leads to our basement.  It has great functionality--and even better, since we bought a whiteboard, rather than the shower material, we lucked out with a magnetic whiteboard, so in addition to leaving notes we can house coupons, multiple photos of ourselves, panda magnets, the usual.

And it's totally out of the way, so most people that would pass through our kitchen don't notice the clutter. 

All the while...
...this bad boy of stainless steel remains completely clutter free!  Except for the "really important notes" and a grocery list pad of paper.

Ta-da!  I've got loads of other projects I want to work on, so perhaps someday, when we warm up to 4, maybe even 5 degrees, I'll find some motivation again.  Until then, I'll be hugging the radiators.

No comments:

Post a Comment