Monday, January 17, 2011

Mouse-proofing.

Okay, so the first few days of my year (aka: the start of my golden year, though technically the last few days of 2010) got off to a rough start.  There was a computer virus (cured!) and then there were mice...still not cured.  Nothing says "welcome back" like dead mice.  In the drawer.  Gross, I know.  Apparently they did not read my letter.

So I Googled.  And the first hit was none other than a DIY website that led me to this handy little guide:  Rodent Proofing your Residence.  I've learned far too many facts about these cunning little creatures, and, to make matters worse, Louis read that this winter has led to a higher home invasion of the pests because they are making use of the tall snow piles to enter places they might not have been able to reach.  I am both impressed and disgusted.

With guide in hand, we hit the hardware store.

Our loot:  caulk and caulk gun, steel wool, and hardware cloth.

I caulked.  (And was pleased to add a new "gun" to my collection.)

And caulked some more, filling in every tiny hole or gap I could find.  I went outside and did the same, creating a strip around the bottom perimeter of our basement windows.

It was a balmy day in the high 30s!  Louis takes shoveling credit for allowing me to get to this vent, which I then fashioned to fit a cover made out of the hardware cloth.

Seeing how the mice mostly "hung out" (ie left their droppings) in our drawers on either side of the sink, it seems that this HUGE, gaping hole under the sink could have been our problem.

Our not-so-pretty, but hopefully "the fix" end result.  I cut a piece of hardware cloth large enough to cover the hole, snipping single lines and small holes so it would fit around the pipes.  I jammed plenty of steel wool behind and piped more caulk to secure the wire mesh.  And no, that's not a tea bag, it's a peppermint sachet added only recently (get the hint, mice!).  They also steer clear of peppermint, we've been told.

While we've noticed fewer signs (likely because there are fewer mice), it seems we're not totally rid of the pests, but we've blocked them completely from entering our drawers and dancing atop our silverware at night.  I'd love them gone entirely, but now it's up to our trap-setting skills to catch the last of them!  Winter, and it's multi-snowstorms can end at any point so we can mouse-proof the outside in the spring.  As Kevin McAllister said, "Next time those guys come back, I'll be prepared.  This is my [our] house, and I have to defend it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment