Thursday, December 16, 2010

Did someone say Christmas cookie?

Now that the holiday shopping list is winding down (certainly not done, but getting there) and the to-do list at work is dwindling (not fast enough, though), it's time to move on to another list...


The holiday baking ingredient list!  And by holiday baking, I mean cookies, strictly cookies.  I'm guessing I love cookies so much because they are connected to Christmas.  And as much as I like Christmas AND cookies, I like 'em best together.


Growing up I often helped my mom bake the same four cookies each year:  chocolate chip (for Santa, but really, for my dad), peanut butter blossoms, sugar (grandma's favorite), and chocolate meltaways.  I've since taken over the baking and the one I have yet to master are the meltaways.  I blame it all on the fact that they take 40 minutes per sheet to bake and I am impatient when it comes to tasting desserts!


Without further ado, I present to you the holiday cookie list of 2010 (or, photos from other bakers of cookies I shall soon make):









From top to bottom: 
1) Triple chocolate molten mint cookies
2) Crispy, chewy chocolate chip cookies
3) Peanut butter blossoms
4) ABC (Already Been Chewed) cookie cutters, which will be used on (not-pictured) sugar cookies--these were a gift from friend Elana last year and I still haven't gotten around to using them.  Truth be told, this ginger doesn't really care for ginger all that much, so sugar cookies it is (which I only like one way:  iced!).

There is one more cookie recipe I'll be trying my hand at this year (top secret!) as well as an edible gift, but I can't picture those now, can I?

The co-op won't know what hit it when I blitz the baking aisle this weekend!  I'm thinking the baking shall commence Wednesday evening (kicking off the start of vacation), go all day Thursday, and possibly into Christmas Eve.  Can't wait!

Curious about my baking list?  I neurotically broke it down into categories.  While I heart shopping at our usually non-busy co-op, last weekend's pre-blizzard excursion/near meltdown has me a little anxious for a return trip...

I love that chocolate totally dominates this list.  Just a small hint at what is in store!

Chocolate
8 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Semisweet Chocolate
17 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Bittersweet Chocolate
6 oz unsweetened chocolate
8 ounces, weight Meltable Milk Chocolate
6 cups semisweet chocolate chips 1 cup coarsely chopped chocolate mint candies (such as Andes mints or mint M&Ms)
48 chocolate kisses
Flours
13  cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Dairy
14 large eggs
2 cups milk
5 cups unsalted butter
Misc.
parchment paper

3 cups creamy Peanut Butter
1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk

Extracts
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
11 teaspoons vanilla extract

Sugars
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
4 cup packed brown sugar
6 cups granulated sugar

I think I really need to give myself one of these as an early present:

No comments:

Post a Comment