Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What about the tree?

First, I know what you're thinking:  three posts in one night?  Or maybe you are wondering about that panda bear that was tossed on the floor?  No, what you are really thinking is:  ohmygosh, with all that snow, how is Jen and Louis' wedding tree?

Fret not, my friends.  We've got it covered.  Literally.  I'll admit, I didn't give this much thought, other than, "hope it lives through the winter".  If that's a metaphor back to our marriage, well, Louis hopes to live through the winter, too (and that I'm always much nicer when I'm not cold).

Anyway....remember that NOVEMBER storm we had?  The one I thought was so, so awful?  Well, we thought of our tree when we were at Menard's earlier that week (not that we go to Menard's...all the time).

We picked up one of these bad boys!  (The Styrofoam "winter hut", NOT Louis!)
Oh, lovely green grass.  I miss you already!


Look!  Her leaves had finally changed, too!  But she wasn't prepared for snow, so we had to break it to her the hard way...
Bye, tree!

Just to make sure the ol' hibernation hut stayed put, we anchored it down (before knowing it would be fully grounded with a billion inches of snow).
With the rock we stole took obtained from the North Shore on the last part of our honeymoon.  Louis doesn't know this, but I nabbed this particular rock because I thought it looked like a cookie.

Fare well, little tree.  We'll see you in April...I hope!

4 comments:

  1. doesn't the tree need sun?? that seems odd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know nothing about the outdoors, but do you think that cover will stunt the tree's growth or does it stop growing over the winter time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that six people! I enjoy reading your blog and seeing how you are and what you are doing with the house. The house looks great I hope you are having fun making it a home. I was happy to hear little tree was safe, I thought about it yesterday for some reason.
    I hope you and Louis have a great first Christmas together and in your new home.
    Merry Christmas to you and your families. Love Ya, Aunt Terry
    PS I miss your cookies You and Kitchen Aid make great cookies

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much love for our little tree! Trees go dormant in the winter, but ours is such a little one that it needed some extra attention from us in the winter months. The severe winter weather can be very hard on young trees--harsh winds, ice and snow, and bright sun could really hurt it, so here's hoping that cover takes good care of her!

    My mom uses the same type of covers on her rose bushes year after year. If our tree is still not mature by next winter, we'll replace with a taller cover so she isn't crushed underneath.

    ReplyDelete