Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Enough snow for a lifetime

Ha!  I just read my last post where I called 4-6 inches a "mega" storm.  Puh-lease!  Add on top of that 17 more inches...and a lot of shoveling, cabin fever for days, and one crushed Metrodome (guess Mother Nature feels the same way I do about the Vikings).

I'll document with some photos for my family down south, what with their mere "dusting" of two inches, I know they're pining for more. :)  Sending some your way, Dad!  Just...not until after our visit.  I certainly don't need any more, except I hear tonight through tomorrow will bring another 2-4 inches.  And we will shovel it where???

It's the wagon wheels that get me...they are more than half covered in snow.

This was only the beginning.

 First measure, around noon:  11 inches.
And last measure, about 3:30pm, calling it a day (4 hours of shoveling x 2 people!):  17 inches.

That awful, awful driveway.  In the summer we thought, "our own driveway?  no alley?" and "wow, this is such a wide street!"  Great in the summer.  In the winter, driveway=more to shovel and wide street=way more snow for the plow to push into already-shoveled driveway.

And finally a photo of the wreath I've been promising, complete with blizzarding snow action.

Just for fun, by the numbers, blizzard 2010 looked something like this:
-3 days of shoveling
-2 snow shovels
-1 mile round trip walk IN the blizzard to buy another at the hardware store
-14 total hours of shoveling (fine, only 5 of those are mine)
-1 snow day.  That's right.  An adult snow day!  Which totally made up for a weekend wasted on shoveling and washing wet, snowy clothes.

So besides shoveling, some online shopping, holiday gift crafting, and cookie planning is in the works.  The evenings are filled with publisher-making, glass-etching, hot glue-gunning activities, none of which can be revealed as they are gifts for the 5 people who read this blog.  All in good time (and if I remember to take photos before wrapping them).

In other news, my countdown continues.  The 2010 calendar days at work are numbered, so numbered that it seems some PTO hours might fall into the "lose it" of the "use it or lose it" category.  Noooo!!!  How did I let this happen?  So in addition to the epic battle of fitting two full-time positions into a 40-hour week, I'm adding a 3rd job:  figure out how to squeeze out every possible second of remaining vacation time.  I've got grand plans for these hours and they involve loads of time in the kitchen with my favorite partner, KitchenAid.

No comments:

Post a Comment