Monday, February 7, 2011

Bedroom update: guest room

Or as I like to call it, my "dressing room". :)  But for real, my clothes are in the guest room closet (Louis inherited the closet in our room because the rods are seriously 6 feet tall and I would not be able to reach my clothes).

Anyway...after a long project recess, I found some things that needed updating (or paint, as you may have it).

We scored this nightstand for FREE over a year ago, which was great because nightstands are some seriously overpriced pieces of furniture.


And sometimes free comes at a price.  This piece was a little banged up, but nothing a little love couldn't fix.


Eep!  Gouges and cracks, oh my!


Good thing I had wood filler on hand.  No really, you should see my our workbench--so many goodies.



Holes filled, time passed, then sanded smooth (total lie; I let about 30 seconds lapse before I sanded).

And then I went and did something crazy.  I primed!  And should have primed again, but was so eager to get the color onto the wood that I didn't.  Next time...right?


My choice color was grey.  Or dark gray (with an a) since this was all I could find.  A little darker than I wanted, but worth a try.  Love the baby paint can--perfect size, no wasted paint!


Three coats of dark gray later...


Lovely!  I spray painted the handle in a light yellow.  I love a good grey/yellow combo.  I could definitely see adding more yellow detail in later, like painting the shelf completely yellow, or some flowers painted on the back.  The possibilities are endless, really.

And a close-up of my never-going-to-resolve project impatience (the yellow smear on the grey paint from putting the handle back on too soon).

On the other side of the room, my vanity.  Scored this pretty little thing back in November from the Cottage House for a mere $28!  The stool was picked up at another occasional market called Flamingo's Divine Finds (TWO occasional markets?  I know!)  The stool was a cool $8.  Score!


Except it used to look more like this:


(The hunter green one in the back.)  The country kitchen vibe just didn't fit the color scheme of my dressing room.  I used some of the cottage white paint from my chair and mixed in a bit of yellow to color match the vanity.  It came pretty close.  I also used leftover fabric and a piece of foam cut in a circle to add some padding to the stool.


And finally, the mirror.  We picked this up at the Shady Oaks Flea Market back in August.  It had chipped blue paint.  I spent a long time sanding it off (suited up in an eye mask, gloves, and face mask...just for fun in case of lead paint).


A fresh coat of green!  So here is where I sit and get ready each morning, looking out over mounds of snow in the backyard, pining for spring.

Next up...updates in our bedroom!  But before I go, I need a before and after side-by-side!


2 comments:

  1. love it! You could try yellow on the wall in back of the shelves. I would let the back pop.. but not make it be too overwhelming! (try it with yellow paper taped to the back first)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I thought the same thing. Just move back here already and be crafty with me, okay?

    ReplyDelete