Sunday, February 20, 2011

Treasure hunting!

I often refer to occasional markets we visit around the cities.  Until this past fall, I had never heard of the concept.  The first place we found was The Cottage House in Minneapolis.  The same friends that tipped us off to it also told us about Flamingo's Divine Finds, not too far from the C-House.  While the style of each market varies, the concept remains the same:  either a house or building packed (and I mean Fire Code-breaking packed) with all kinds of items for sale--furniture (often painted in bold, quirky colors), trinkets, home decor, antiques, jewelry, anything goes!  Often these markets rely on the work of several artists whose job it is to bring in new merchandise each month and usually corresponds to an overall theme.  Each is only open one long weekend per month, too.  All other times they are out scavenging for new goods to sell!

You'll recall some of our favorite finds:  from The Cottage House:  our infamous paint-stripped dining room table, the red cabinet that was absolutely meant for our kitchen, and just last week from Flamingo's the new bench for our living room.

Well, the artist who sold us the bench said we had to check out a place called A Cat and the Fiddle A Fair in Rosemount, MN.  Honestly at the time I was like, "yeah, yeah, drive 18 miles for another one of these markets when I already have two here in Minneapolis I'm addicted to and try not to miss a sale.  Probably unlikely."  And then I looked up the website for this place.  Five BUILDINGS?!  I. Was. Sold.  I immediately planned an outing with none other than the friends who let us in on the secret of the markets:  Derek and Leona (who also happen to be our antiquing buddies).

The date was set for this past Saturday.  We road-tripped to Rosemount and Apple Valley--it was on the way home and offered another market (yup, that's four of these places if you're counting) called Haupt Antiek Market (I'm certain these folks may have added a 'p' to their name and we must be related). 

And I finally remembered to take my camera along and can show why I love these places so much!

I really liked this numbers print; it was $18, which I assume included the frame and matte.  Reminded me of my favorite fontophile, Elana!  I did not love the tomato-man print so much.  To each their own!

Oh, my word.  So much loveliness.  I really loved the square wooden frame clock--and it even worked!  But I deemed the frame "too wide".  Really?  And now from the photo I see that I also love the mantel clock atop the tall, skinny table.  If I had a mantel, I'd covet that clock.


A wider shot of some of the same items.  Hey Louis, why don't we hang our chairs on the wall?


Either Derek's found something he likes...or he is possessed by the angelic child painting he just saw.


And Leona found this purse!  Can't believe you turned it down! :)


More lovely things.  Stools, cabinets, and chairs.  Oh my!


Lots of kitchen ephemera.  I've thought of the same design of hanging a crate on the wall (like the brown one in the left of the photo) and will probably go for it soon.  Some of my favorite things are the signs in this room--hanging on the wall in the back, but they definitely were reproductions and not vintage.  And another cute clock-- this one made out of a plate!

So that completes out tour of A Cat and the Fiddle.  I didn't take any photos at Haupt because it was a narrow store that was packed with people.  After all this hunting what did we buy?  Nothing.  It's always a little disappointing to come away from a hunt (especially an epic one like this) empty-handed, but I've determined my reasons why this happens.

1) I am frugal.  Even though the items are priced well, I still think, "If I buy this item for only $15, when I find an item I actually want I'll have a harder time justifying it because I've already spent money."  Yes, I am that frugal.
2) It is overwhelming, to say the least.  The rooms are packed and often very narrow (since many of these places operate out of old homes) and on top of that are packed with people.  Some ruder than others.
3) It is exhausting.  The eyes can only scan for so long!  I noticed things in the photos I did not see in person.
4) I have to go with specific things in mind.  Well, this is true for how I shop in general.  And my list right now includes big furniture items.  I'd have a hard time convincing myself I "need" a clock or vintage-looking sign.

So we may have walked away empty-handed material goods speaking, but I left with some inspiration...

Our basement has two fluorescent lamps.  They are ugly.  These houses had lots of them and came up with unique ways of covering them.
Like a window frame, glass punched out, and covered in a tissue-paper like material.

Or what appears to be a door frame covered in fabric and dressed with wreath garland.

Even more unique and rustic--a ladder!

And this one I actually took in Perham, MN, this past summer.  Another frame, no glass, just open and decorated with garland.

Now I just have to find frames...which actually isn't too hard, they show up at all kinds of sales.  I just have to wait another month.

So there you have it:  treasure hunting!  Maybe it makes you want to come along, maybe it makes you claustrophobic.  I understand. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment