Monday, February 21, 2011

Snow daze.

Another snowy day here at HoHub.  Our weatherman says we only need 25 more inches to break the record snowfall in a season of 98 inches!  And we've still got March (second snowiest month) on tap.  So naturally, I spent the weekend dreaming of spring/summer projects I am waiting to tackle.

1) The driveway.  I never made it out to take a picture of Hubbard Pond that formed across the driveway during our thaw-out last week, but I know it will return.  After looking back at this photo I snapped during our house inspection, it's pretty clear what the problem is.  The black arrows point to the cracks, and the main sight of the lake; the blue represents the slope of the driveway.

You know I wish I could mudjack this myself, but I'll have to call in the professionals.


2) A clothesline!  I grew up with summers of clothes hanging on the line to dry and there is just no other way.  I hate running the dryer all winter long.  In our duplex last year our basement was actually large enough to string several lines, but it's just not the same (and our basement here can't fit much more than a drying rack).

We've already got this steal beam...we just need to figure out if we'll attach the line to the back of the garage, or stake something into the ground so we'd have more of a walkway between the house and garden...


3) Yes, a garden! We inherited a plot ripe with rhubarb, Minnesota melon, and some kind of potato.  The garden was transitioning owners last summer and didn't see enough love to come to fruition.  Let's just see how green my thumb really is.


4) This is the one I am most excited about:  painting the porch floor!

This was the porch pre-furniture.  It is already painted dark green.  I'm not thinking of repainting the entire floor, just painting a "rug" onto the floor.  (Here I'm just painting my chalkboard, and trying not to repaint the floor.)


And, of course, I've already found some inspiration:


The folks at Young House Love painted their sunroom floor (that one's for you, Krista!)


Nicole from Making it Lovely free-hand painted this rug, all while 9 months pregnant.  Wow.


And this I found on a blog search; the work of Paisley Wallpaper.  It is by far my favorite.

I'll be on the lookout for shapes, patterns, colors that inspire me, and it seems I'll have plenty of time between now and when these projects begin.  I nearly shed a tear when I saw that first photo of the driveway.  I really do forget what the house looks like in the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment