Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bedroom update: the master

So our "master" bedroom is really only 5-10 square feet larger than the guest room.  Guess things weren't so "masterly" back in 1921.  Or they had smaller beds.  I don't really know.

A while back (okay, fine, October), I showed the images I had created of our homestate pride:  Minnesota and Iowa.  Then the project got delayed because we needed more paper...or maybe it was more ink?  And then frames and mattes.  Finally this came together sometime late last year.  I printed the images on an ivory sheet of 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock.  I found inexpensive mattes and a set of two brown frames that I thought were over $20, but we totally scored and they were on sale for around $8 total, making the frames + mattes for each picture just over $7.

And finally we hung them.  They are in our bedroom for now, but they might move around once we determine other art for our room.


Blue matte for Minne because of all the lakes, and green for Iowa because of the rolling plains (ahem:  Iowa is NOT flat, contrary to what everyone thinks!) :)


And another October project long-discarded would be the curtains.  Seriously, what happened to me post-October?  Oh, it got cold and my inability to get off the couch/out from my pile of blankets took hold.  Sigh.

These were pretty simple.  I skipped the sewing.  Because I'm still fighting with my machine.  I opted for the Young House Love no-sew version and it's worked out so far, though in between having these hanging in October, but then taking them down (long story:  our previous curtain rod was too short, so we had a temp one up there) they did "unhem" a bit, but I touched them up with the iron and they seem (or seam--ha ha, sewing pun!) to be staying together.

An evening shot...complete with unmade bed.  Meh.  Oh, and the real reason this project got delayed: even with the power drill I could not get holes in the wood paneling around the window, so I patched the holes and attached the rod straight onto the wall.  Luckily I had made the curtains wider so this worked out, and I like it--it makes the window frame look larger than it really is.


Close-up of the fabric during the daytime.  And a realization that lighting makes all the difference in photography.  These look blue.  They are not.  They look more tan like the photo above.



And the side window.  Technically these curtains have been up since about a month after moving in since there's no shades at all on this window. 


Next up:  I've been dying to paint our nightstands!  I finally picked out a nutmeg color.  We'll see how I like it...I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment